it's never too late to start something new.

Today I walked to Lawrence Market to meet up with a few old co-workers for lunch. I really like walking because it gives me time to think, people watch, and catch up on podcasts. During the trip, a quiet but powerful idea gathered in my mind: "If you had no major barriers in time and finances, how would you like to spend your time?" I surprised myself when I immediately answered, "writing".

Writing has in some way, always been a part of my life. As a shy and sensitive child, I felt more at ease expressing myself on paper than in person. I wrote pages and pages of poetry and prose as a teenager. In university, I think my energy was drained from four years of research essays. It's been playing a supporting role in creating marketing materials, presentation decks, or creative briefs in the last five years, but I'd hardly consider that good practice.

About two months ago, I felt that I was in a creative slump with quite a few of my projects. I wasn't inspired by my daily work. I decided to take a creative writing class through Toronto District School Board, held every Tuesday from 6:30-9:30pm. This small move changed everything for me.

I've never thought about writing as something that defined me, or something that I was particularly good at. I've certainly never thought about it as a career option, or as a source of income. Since my class ended, I have begun working on a professional writing portfolio. I have hopes of someday completing a series of short stories, and maybe even a novel. It's never too late to start something new. I found a hidden well of passion for writing that must have been hiding there all along. I'm looking forward to exploring it could take me next.